Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Salmon and Pineapple Salsa

My next culinary experiment introduced me to the world of non-tomato based salsa (something unheard of by this Texan):

Salmon and Pineapple Salsa


The salmon was easy to cook and didn't require anything too odd in preparation. I was more worried about ruining a delicious salmon steak by covering it in a "salsa" the consisted of mostly pineapple and soy sauce.

I am not a fan of soy sauce, and I only like Pineapple as a standalone fruit or drink. Sweet pineapple on a pizza, ham, chicken, starch, or pretty much anything that is not sweet naturally ruins that food for me. But this salsa required the pineapples be grilled with onions/jalapenos and mixed with reduced orange juice prior to mixing them with meat, so I hoped those actions would tame the sweetness enough where it wouldn't overrun the taste of the salmon.


In the end, I was really impressed with the so-called tomato-less salsa. It was good enough (and spicy enough) that I dipped chips into it like a "real" salsa. And it went well with the salmon. I don' think I would eat the salsa too often and I still prefer the more traditional Tex-mex variety when it comes to snacking, but I did learn that mixing some of your least favorite ingredients can create a delicious dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment