Thursday, February 25, 2010

Jay's Playlist: Gattaca

Welcome to my playlist, where I discuss the music which is currently entertaining me. Below you will find a video, press play to begin the song and then read my feelings on the album.

I still bring up Gattaca in conversation even 13 years later. I'm not sure if the film can be called a cult favorite, and it definitely wasn't a box office success, but I will call it an entertaining film (even if the science is a little off, but what movie doesn't have that). But this post is not about the movie but its music.

Michael Nyman's score is somber, emotional, and thought provoking (at least if you've seen the movie). The album is not one I can listen to for extended period of times because it almost depresses me. But no matter what emotion it invokes, the music is beautiful. I'm sure it would make a great playlist when interspersed with lively pieces.

Overall, I love this music because it moves me. It is thinking music. It relaxes me, almost to a fault (see above). And the movie memories it invokes are very positive even if the film's tone is not (at least until the end).



Random Gattaca facts:
  • The film's name is spelled only using GATC, the letters of the building blocks of DNA
  • The building used for the film is Frank Lloyd Wright's Marin County Civic Center just a few miles from where I live. It was also used in THX 1138, and it is where my grandmother was (re)married.
  • 13 years later, the cast selection would be considered an "all-star, A-list" cast. At the time, Jude Law was a relative unknown, Ethan Hawke was still only known mainstream from Dead Poet's Society and was escaping his 20 something roles from Reality Bites and Before Sunset, and Uma Thurman was probably the most successful due to Pulp Fiction (although her next movie would be franchise-killer Batman and Robin) and was likely more memorable due to Dave Letterman's failed Uma/Oprah Oscar joke. The supporting cast adds even more: Ernest Borgnine, Alan Arkin, Tony Shalhoub, Xander Berkeley, Gore Vidal, SNL'er Maya Rudolph, and Elias Koteas (who will always be Casey Jones to me).
  • a Gattaca TV cop drama is in development for the 2010 fall season.

No comments:

Post a Comment