Friday, February 5, 2010

State of the Passions: Music

Recently this blog turned 150 days old. I began this blog with a goal of bettering myself incrementally each day:
This blog will document my passions, progress, and random musings so at the end of the day I can look back and see that, while I have not reached everything I have hoped for, I am further than when I started. And tomorrow is always another day on the road to a new Jay.
I then laid out My Passions in my second post. So where I am 150 days later, specifically Music?

Piano: As noted before, I don't get to play much since I don't have a piano at my residence. But when I travel to my parents house I have access to a nice grand piano. But my time at my parents house is usually spent preoccupied with other important tasks. :)
I did (re)learn a song to perform for Raeleigh which was one my stated goals. I also uploaded and announced my Christmas arrangement that I created a few years ago. And one of the highlights of Christmas was (loosely) performing the entire "The Snowman" score for Raeleigh while reading the story to her. I'm working on a few other pieces to perform for the family and hope to have more at least another video in the next 150 days. Although considering my time spent at the house will be even smaller than the past 150 days that may not be possible. But I will try! In the mean time, I will continue to post my favorite piano music and collect new sheet music for the day I once again have access to a piano!

Guitar: Without the luxury of a piano I've had to put my musical urges into another instrument: the guitar! Since beginning this blog I have completed the tabbing of one of my favorite guitar pieces (of which my 12 year search failed to find sheet music). I am still learning the piece and likely will for a while but hope to have it performable in a few months. I've also completed tabbing (and learning) another easier piece which is just a fun little TV medley which I will either post my performance or just link to the original that I tabbed from.
More importantly, I finally went to a guitar store to get a "checkup" of my guitar. In the 13 years of owning a guitar (albeit I took a break for about 11 of them) I have never done that and either relied on others to change the strings or just lived without. I now have a capo, new strings, a clean neck (now free of 13 years worth of finger oil buildup, ech!), a thumb pick, and an actual music book to learn from! The fresh guitar emboldened me to finally record one of the earliest pieces I learned which in tern emboldened my to practice up my other pieces to eventually record as well. Finally. I began tabbing another piece, although this one is easier since it is from sheet music rather than an audio file, which I hope to document my learning process from beginning to end.
Finally, the one "goal" I failed to do over the past few months was posting links to my favorite fan guitar videos. Not only does this action make my goal creating content for this blog everyday a little easier but it reminds me of my influences. The only downside is a lot of the pieces I am learning/tabbing are the same ones I enjoy online, and since the original performers will always out perform me I am hesitant to post them first. That's something I will have to get over fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment